Went on trip with McNerneys.
Google map — all the green pushpins you see were places we (or some of us) went. Other possibilities are also marked and were the results of my research.
The Daily: Flew in Christmas day and our flight out of Ontario, CA was at 1:00 am on Saturday Jan. 3; we arrived at home around noon Eastern time that day. We were based just outside of Anaheim, if that means anything to you.
- Fri, Dec. 26
- San Juan Capistrano: the Mission, the Basilica, taco/churro snack; drive up the PCH along the coast; walk on the beach at Crystal Cove State Park and dinner at the Crab Cooker in Newport Beach.
- Sat, Dec. 27
- Getty Center (amazing); Our Lady of Angels Cathedral; In-n-Out; Lula Washington Dance concert.
- Sun, Dec. 28
- sleep in & chill at hotel; Crystal Cathedral; lunch at Thai Nakorn in Buena park (amazing); volunteer float decorating from 4-10 pm in Pasadena near the Rose Bowl (worked on the NAAM/Sesame Street float)
- Mon, Dec. 29
- Long Beach: decided not to do the Queen Mary and Russian submarine (too expensive); Long Beach Marina; Long Beach Aquarium; dinner at Enrique’s mexican restaurant (amazing)
- Tues, Dec. 30
- Bandfest (marching band show) at Pasadena City College footbal field, 10-4; Gamble House (walked around it, it wasn’t open for tours); viewing floats-in-progress; In-n-Out; visit to Rancho Palos Verdes; Wayfarers Chapel (Lloyd Wright);
- Wed, Dec. 31
- Disneyland and Disney California Adventure. I forgot how much I loved the Dole Whip. Four of us were in the trains on Space Mountain at the stroke of the new year.
- Thurs, Jan. 1
- Rose Parade (our raison d’etre; we left the hotel at 4:45 am); returning to relax at the hotel mid-afternoon; dinner at Mas’ Chinese-Islamic restaurant (excellent)
- Fri, Jan. 2
- missed flight; early dinner at Gabbi’s mexican kitchen (amazing) in Orange; jazz club in Clermont
link: pictures on flickr
Missed out on: two Mexican restaurants highly recommended by friends; Getty Villa; Nixon Birthplace & Library (I actually had a couple slots when I could go up there, but they were always closed!); hiking; Gamble House tour; the Huntington; the Norton-Simon; LACMA; MOCA; Griffith Park observatory; Santa Monica farmers’ market. But we had to miss something!
Thanks so much to Linda & Tim for bringing us all out there. It was a real treat.